Home The Club Senior Cricket Junior Cricket Reports Reviews Sponsors Links

2012 Match Reports

Saturday 25th August 2012


The final match of the season was again cancelled; however Cowbridge First XI finished 2nd in the league, thereby being promoted to the First Division.

Congratulations to all who played in the First XI during the 2012 season.



So the 2012 season came to a conclusion with Cowbridge travelling to Carmarthen still with the chance of being Champions.  As the Cowbridge side made the trip west along the M4, the weather began to close in and upon arrival in Carmarthen there was rain in the air, black clouds sweeping across the sky and a strong breeze; not an unusual occurrence this Summer.

The Captain won the toss and had no hesitation in bowling first.  The Carmarthen openers got off to good a start punishing the bad deliveries and running well between the wicket.   Despite some tight bowling from A. Qasim and John Gilbert the score continued to rise.  John finally struck to remove one of the Carmarthen openers but this unfortunately did not mean the run rate lessened.  Some pressure was applied by the ever consistent Ian Evans, and from debutant Michael Hordley who bowled very well against a strong opposition, but this was not enough to stop Carmarthen posting 240 off their 50 overs.

This was a sizeable total and Cowbridge knew they would have to bat well to stand any chance of overhauling the Carmarthen score.  The Cowbridge innings got off to a slow start as both the Cowbridge openers, Chris Ross and Jonty Webb, found the going tough against some consistent and accurate bowling; both were to fall cheaply in the end.  This was unfortunately the story of the Cowbridge innings with no batsman, apart from Michael Hordley who backed up his performance with the ball with 39 well made runs, applying themselves in an effort to build an innings.  Eventually Cowbridge were bowled out for 116.

To end the season in this manner was extremely disappointing.   However, there were a number of positives this season such as the bowling of Ian Evans, Harri Collier and John Gilbert.  Plus the bowling of Matthew Keating, who at only 13 has an excellent future in front of him.  The mainstay of the batting was Chris Ross with Ian Evans providing useful runs throughout the season along with the Captain.   The Captain would like to thank all those people who have supported the side the throughout the season and would like to extend special thanks to Jeff Davies for having been the sides scorer.  Cowbridge know that next year will be a lot tougher, being in the First division, but are looking forward to the challenge.  Roll on 2013.


Saturday 18th August 2012



Sunday 12th August 2012

1840 CUP 

On Sunday the annual fixture between Cowbridge Cricket Club and Bridgend Town took place for the 1840 cup.

 This year the match took place in Newbridge Fields and Cowbridge retained the Cup.

 Cowbridge won the toss and decided to bat. In the 40 overs they scored 203 for 9 wickets. There were runs for Alex Kurobassa (74), Mike Lloyd (51) and Tom Merilaht (52).

 Tom Pearce 3-36 and Tom Dalton 4-48 were the main wicket takers for Bridgend.

 Bridgend Town fell short in their reply reaching 200 in their 40 overs. This was mainly owing to the U 15’s in the Cowbridge team, namely Ryan Thomas, Sean Rowland, Zac Summerhays, Tom Scott-Coombes, and Sam Walters who were sparkling in the field as they defended the runs.

 Tom Baker (43), Owen Davies (58) and Rhodri Hopes (32) scored most of the runs. 

Tom Merilaht 3-35, Chris Willey 2-36 and Harri Collier 2-27 were the wicket takers for Cowbridge. 

Many thanks to the Bridgend Town Cricket Club for hosting the day, and providing a sumptuous tea.

 It was a successful day for the team and an enjoyable weekend of cricket.


Saturday 11th August 2012



This final away game saw another superb batting performance from the Cowbridge First XI. They scored 269 runs thanks to Tom Merilaht (49), Mike Lloyd (93), Sam Wood (70) and Faris Rosmanizam (31) that brought them close to victory.

Cowbridge travelled the relatively short distance to Skewen for the final away match of the season. On a lovely summer’s day, at last, the skipper won the toss and decided to bat on what proved to be a very good wicket and a very fast outfield.

As usual, Tom Merilaht and Mike Lloyd opened the batting and found the wicket to their liking. With pace in the wicket and encountering no great difficulty, they cautiously began the innings and gradually increased the pace to lay a firm foundation to the innings.

Their partnership had reached 131 in 31 overs with the opposition beginning to despair when Tom was caught behind for 47 (7 fours), and at that point Mike had scored 67.

Sam Wood came to the crease and they took the score to 194 in the 42nd.over when the second wicket fell. Mike was caught behind for 93 off 118 balls, flailing at a ball outside his off stick while trying to push the score along.

It was one of his typically aggressive innings made up of 10 fours and three enormous sixes that disappeared over the bowler’s head into the gardens beyond the boundary, never to return.

Sam proceeded to a stylish and speedy 70 (12 fours) off 52 balls when he was bowled and Faris Rosmanizam (31) joined him before he was eventually caught behind. At 257 for 3 in the 48th over a comedy of errors followed and the innings closed on 269 for 7 with no other batsman reaching double figures.

The first four batsmen had amassed 243 runs between them that guaranteed the team maximum batting points while setting a competitive total that they thought they could defend.

In reply Skewen managed 197 for 9, but unfortunately Cowbridge could not bring about the fall of the last wicket to seal a fine victory.

They began the innings in fine style scoring at over 5 an over that would bring them close to the target and possibly reach it. 

But thanks to a superb bowling performance from Harri Collier that rate of scoring came to an abrupt end.

Making one of his rare appearances for the First XI he came on to bowl in the 16th.over when the score was 91 for 3. He bowled 11 overs and conceded only 21 runs while the score moved slowly to 142 in the 37th over.

The brake had certainly been applied to the batsmen’s scoring and he was certainly instrumental in applying that brake.

They had fallen so far behind the scoring rate that they needed 128 runs off 13 overs with 6 wickets remaining. Survival was the only option that remained to them having lost the top order; fortunately for them they did survive, ending on 197 for 9.

Despite having as many catchers as they dare around the bat, four slips to Ryan Taylor at one point, Cowbridge could not capture that final wicket. In the end, there were wickets for Ryan (2), Tom (2), Amin (2) and Harri (1). There were run outs for Harri and Mike, and catches for Mike (2) and Andy (1), while fielding at fourth slip to Taylor’s bowling as they strove for the victory.

This was Andy Finucane’s last game this season as next weekend he gets married. His teammates and Cowbridge Cricket Club wish him well for next Saturday and good fortune for him and his wife in the future.




On a warm and blustery day Cowbridge played host to Skewen in a very important game with Cowbridge keen to secure a victory to consolidate their position at the top of the table.  The Cowbridge Captain won the toss and, going against his usual instinct, he decided to bat first.  This seemed to have been a good decision as both the openers, Chris Ross and Jonty Webb, started brightly against the Skewen bowlers.  Both put together an excellent partnership of over 75 in 23 overs finding the boundary on regular occasions.  Unfortunately, Jonty (30) and Chris (45) went in quick succession and at which point the Cowbridge innings hit the buffers.  Wickets began to tumble with only Droviq Khan (32) providing any resistance.  Cowbridge had hoped after such a good start to post a total near 200 but due to poor batting Cowbridge were only able to reach 150 all out.

Cowbridge knew that they would have to bowl well if they were to stand a chance of victory and things started well with the Cowbridge opening pair, A. Qasim and John GIlbet, bowling very tidily and restricting the Skewen batsmen.  However, the major obstacle to Cowbridge was the Skewen opener Rhys Davies.  R. Davies had previously scored a hundred against Cowbridge, so Cowbridge were under no illusions as to his ability.  Unfortunately, R. Davies was to prove a thorn in Cowbridge’s side once again as he compiled a well made innings.  Although wickets fell, with Umar Rafique bowling extremely well to take 4 wickets having to put up with the fact he had not eaten or drunk since 03:00 that morning due to Ramadan, R. Davies held firm to anchor the Skewen innings.  In the end, Skewen overhauled the Cowbridge score with R. Davies finishing on 103 not out.

This was a very disappointing result as having got off to such a good start Cowbridge really should have posted a more competitive total.  All the batsmen were culpable and this result has meant that Cowbridge have slipped to second in the table with only two games to go.   Hopefully, Cowbridge can turn things around next week against Aberdare; as without a victory it is highly likely that top spot with be out of reach of Cowbridge for yet another season.



As the end of the season approaches there are always games where if revenge is not sought then there is at least a wish to even the score, in this instance against the two leading teams in the league. Two weeks ago at Dafen the West Wales side made up for conceding over 100 runs for the 10th wicket in the first leg and  last Saturday there was an opportunity to re-educate  Pontardulais who reduced  the  Cowbridge side to 39 all out earlier in the season. Unfortunately the absence of both the usual opening Cowbridge bowlers and two of the three opening batsmen made a happy outcome unlikely. Cricket is however a game of surprises and one where nothing should be taken for granted. 

It looked like a perfect day for cricket being warm and sunny but with a cooling wind. Although Cowbridge won the toss Pontardulais asked if they could bat first being two men down due to late arrivals. After some hesitation the captain agreed and Pontardulais having rapidly made up a full side got off to a swift start scoring at nearly 12 runs an over for the first eight overs. In the course of this run banquet Cowbridge lost the third of their opening batsmen when Jon Brazier throwing his best foot forward at extra cover suffered a very painful groin strain and had to leave the pitch for the rest of the match. Pontardulais sportingly substituted with their men   who fielded with enthusiasm,  in fact catching one of their own players. After eight overs a change to spin was made and while Tom Scott-Combes (12 overs, 2 wickets for 46 runs) kept his nerve and continued to bowl with increasing accuracy and movement throughout one continuous and exhausting session the change to spin at the other end totally altered the match.  Guy Parker (12 overs, 2 wickets for 42) dropped the ball on a length from the start. His accuracy and slow delivery, aided by a fear of stumping by Jac Davies, making his debut as wicket keeper, made it difficult for the batsmen to score.  Rob Kyriakides (8 overs, 3 wickets for 64) making a welcome return and Jack Griffith, who has clear promise for the future supported Guy and Tom. It was now that Pontardulais failed to heed the lesson they could have learnt from the experience of their league competitors Dafen. They declared at 231 for 8 off only 40 overs, although the score would have been much less if some very difficult catches had been held. They clearly intended to skittle out Cowbridge in good time or if necessary using the extra five overs Cowbridge must bat for. 

With Jon Brazier hors de combat, the innings was opened by a father and son duo of Rian and Andrew Thomas. Andrew sadly received a quick inswinging yorker which trapped him l.b.w. before he could settle and was replaced by Tom who had bowled so well. Some beautifully struck boundaries from both Rian and Tom showed that Cowbridge were not to be intimidated.  Rian made an excellent 27 and Tom 25 when he was replaced by the indefatigable Guy Parker. Guy kept the score running, initially with the support of Hatim Shami who continues to improve his game, and who had been an immense support in the field. With Hatim’s departure the captain David Webb joined Guy and the score continued to mount. When on 146 with 13 overs left this pair decided if possible to mount an attack on the total . Guy was sadly out  for 34 almost at once  and it was time to put up the shutters, possibly the  situation which best suits the captain, who went on to make 34 not out.  Rob Kyriakides, Jack Griffiths and Alex Arnot all supported him and to the increasing frustration of the Pontardulais team, it became clear that Cowbridge would cross the 50 over target with wickets in hand.  This they did when on a total of 163 for 7. 

It may have been only a losing draw, but with such a depleted team against one of the league leaders it was a result to be proud of.


Saturday 4th August 2012




In keeping with this disastrous summer rain curtailed and then forced the abandonment of this match between Cowbridge and Bronwydd. 

Cowbridge welcomed Bronwydd First XI to the Athletic field for the first time for many a year. The welcome was warm but unfortunately the weather did not respond. 

The visiting skipper won the toss and put Cowbridge in to bat on a rain affected wicket. It was slow progress for the Cowbridge batsmen on a low and slow wicket that had not had any prolonged sunshine all summer. 

The weather was quite bright at the start as play began on time. But gradually dark clouds began to build and become extremely threatening with the result that after 26 overs a heavy downpour drove the players from the field. 

At this point the home side had reached 63 for 3 wickets, with the skipper still at the crease with 33 to his credit. This shower lasted a while with the result that 11 overs were lost. 

When Cowbridge First XI began batting again 13 overs remained to post a competitive score. They managed 140 runs setting Bronwydd 141 to win in 39 overs. The bulk of the runs came from Tom Merilaht (57), Amin Ramly (18) and Chris Willey with an unbeaten 20. 

After tea Bronwydd began the reply needing 141 in 39 overs for victory. All these facts proved to be academic as after 10 overs the heavens opened, and a torrential downpour accompanied by thunder saw to it that the match was disappointingly abandoned. 

The Second XI’s match was cancelled, as Bronwydd was awash earlier in the day.  


Saturday 28th July 2012




What a fantastic game of cricket! Over 500 runs in an afternoon, with three batsmen scoring centuries and a victory for Cowbridge First XI sealed in the penultimate over by the hero of the innings. 

The day began with an early start as the First XI made the trek to Llandysul. The good weather continued and the game began on time on a wicket that looked as if it would favour the batsmen. It proved to be so as 549 runs were scored. 

The home skipper won the toss and decided to bat, suggesting confidence in the wicket. His decision was vindicated as Llandysul proceeded to score 276 for 5 wickets. 

It turned out to be a batsman’s paradise as both openers scored centuries, and the Cowbridge bowlers toiled all afternoon with very little reward.  

At the end of the innings Tom Warner had 3 wickets. Adam Wood and Tom Merilaht had one each. Ryan Taylor was ill and his contribution was sorely missed. There were catches for Faris Rosmanizam, Amin Ramly, Mike Lloyd, Alex Kurobassa and Sam Wood. 

The first wicket fell at 196 in the 39th over. With 11 overs remaining a score of 300 was a distinct possibility, but the innings appeared to lose its way.  

Good fielding and a final effort from the bowlers restricted the home side to 273 runs, perhaps 30 to 40 runs short of safety. Despite such a target, with a batsman friendly wicket and a relatively short boundary Cowbridge still felt they had a chance. 

The reply got off to quite a good start with the first wicket falling at 69 in the 17th. over. This brought Sam Wood to the wicket and there he stayed until the end. 

He lost the skipper when the score was 89, but then a partnership, with Faris (35), of 95 took the score to 184. 

Unfortunately, at this point due to a series of unfortunate events 3 wickets fell in the space of 2 overs. 

With the score on 190 Chris Willey joined Sam, and this combination of youth and experience saw the side to victory. With 13 overs left and requiring 84 runs, they set about the task with energy and purpose.  

As usual, Chris batted sensibly, hitting the bad balls for four while taking no risks, and giving the strike to Sam when possible. 

They quickly accumulated the runs and the target got closer and closer. In the penultimate over amid great excitement from his team-mates, Sam struck three beautiful boundaries. With the second he reached his well-deserved century, the third sealed a memorable victory. 

It turned out to be a long, but fruitful journey for the First XI. There was limited success on this occasion for the bowlers, but useful contributions came from the batsmen particularly Sam Wood 104 not out, Chris Willey 35 not out, Tom Merilaht (48), Mike Lloyd (35) and Faris Rosmanizam (35). 




After last week’s excellent victory against Briton Ferry, Cowbridge were hopeful of repeating the same against Llandysul last Saturday.  Unfortunately though Cowbridge were to be disappointed after a below par performance.

The Cowbridge skipper won the toss and true to form he decided to bowl first; it cannot be argued that the Captain is not consistent in his decision making.  Things did not start well for Cowbridge with some wayward bowling that allowed the Llandysul openers to get off to a flyer.  The brakes were finally applied with the introduction of Harri Collier and Matthew Keating.  Both bowled very well but despite wickets falling from time to time the score continued to rise.  In the end Llandysul managed to reach 186 off their 50 overs for the loss of 9 wickets with all the wickets going to Matthew Keating, 4 for 52, and to Ian Evans who finished with terrific figures of 5 for 25.

Having scored over 200 last week, Cowbridge knew that a target of 186 was clearly reachable, however they let themselves down badly with the bat.   The innings got off to bad start with the Captain going early and after that there was a procession of wickets with only Chris Ross (47) able to provide any resistance.  Cowbridge were never in with a shout of reaching the Llandysul total and it was left to Guy Parker and Matthew Keating to fight a rearguard action to avoid a Cowbridge defeat.  In the end Cowbridge finished on 118 for 8 off their 50 overs.

Apart from the bowling exploits of Ian Evans and Matthew Keating, this was a below average performance by Cowbridge.  Cowbridge still sit top of the table but will have to pull their socks up if they want to maintain this position for the rest of the season.



Like everyone else the Cowbridge West Wales side had become used to monsoon conditions but on the 21st July a strange incandescent ball was observed in the sky over the town. It warmed the wet ground and the grass behind the cattle market to produce a lush pasture which was heavily trampled and torn up. In consequence the outfield was not only very slow but the boundaries had to moved in by ten yards Fortunately the visiting team, Swansea Civil Service, were philosophical perhaps being largely DEFRA employees and having won the toss they sensibly put Cowbridge in to bat. 

For the first time this year the opening pair both failed but Michael Hordley was not helped by a nasty tendon injury suffered during catching practice before the game. Fortunately the migratory Parker Bird was visiting for the summer and coming in at number 5 baffled the opposition with its unusual stance and successfully pecked away at the bowling until the end of the innings thus providing the essential support to hold up the side, scoring 15 not out in the process. Rian Thomas scored an elegant 14 but the batsmen otherwise seemed disorientated by the unusual conditions and only 44 runs were scored which with 15 extras made a total of 59. 

Both Michael, with his hand strapped up, and Rian from the difficult town end did their best with Guy Parker adding some variety. Despite their best efforts the Swansea number one batsman could not be contained and scored 80 % of the necessary response. Swansea Civil Service made the score for the loss of only 3 wickets. 

With the above experience in mind, and memories of 130 added for the last wicket by Dafen at the time of the home game, Cowbridge were determined to do better when visiting Llanelli the following Saturday.  

The weather was bright but windy and there was a chill in the air blowing off the Lougher estuary. Dafen won the toss and elected to bat. Steady progess was made by both sides with occasional bursts of furious energy from Dafen’s previous high scorers although on this occasion their combined total was cut by a half. Waquir Saadat with the wind behind him and Michael Hordley against both worked hard Michael finishing on 3 wickets for 25 runs and Waquir on 4 for 51. Rian Thomas with 3 for 38 and bowling with considerable thought supported them well. If it had not been for a record number of inside edges that some how missed the leg stump the Dafen score would have been a lot less. They finished on 183 all out, Cowbridge’s own first inning’s score for the home leg of the match.  

For a brief moment it looked as though the reply would be a sad failure but then while Jon Brazier kept one end safe Michael Hordley set about the bowling, in particular relishing anything short out side the off stump. When he was finally out for 45 and with Jon Brazier looking very steady a good if not winning score looked possible. Jon was eventually out in the fortieth over having made an invaluable contribution and given the fewest possible chances. The rules stated however that Cowbridge must use the overs Dafen did not and so had to keep the innings intact for a further 8 overs. A brisk 14 from Richard Owen helped them on the way and some stonewalling from the captain saw them to a total of 117 for 6 from 48 overs.

 Having bowled Dafen out and gained 3 batting points, Cowbridge finished ahead on points and with a feeling that revenge had been gained. It was real team effort and something to be proud about. The team is currently in the best position they have experienced in the league for over ten years. 


Saturday 21st July 2012




 Cowbridge First XI pulled off a remarkable victory on Saturday just as they were staring at a very heavy defeat for the first time this season. 

Having won the toss the Briton Ferry skipper had no hesitation in putting Cowbridge in to bat. After the recent appalling weather, an unpredictable wicket and a slow outfield were not the only problems the Cowbridge batsmen had to face. 

This was certainly a very good toss to have won. The visiting bowling attack made full use of the conditions to such an extent that the home side could only manage 144 runs and were bowled out in 48 overs. 

To illustrate the difficulties the batsmen faced on an unpredictable wicket and an accurate attack, after 25 overs only 63 runs were scored for the loss of 3 wickets. 

Eventually, they managed another 81 runs in the remaining overs. Sam Wood (24), Amin Ramly, (21) Chris Willey (24) and Ryan Taylor (22 not out) were the main scorers. 

A total that all felt would not be enough for a win as the wicket was getting easier as time passed. 

The Briton Ferry innings got off to a rapid start with 52 runs scored off the first 10 overs. It looked as if the match would finish quickly. 

After 25 overs the score was 91 for 3. The opening batsman, Paul Evans, was 48 not out and with 7 wickets in hand, victory for the visitors was a distinct probability.  

Inexplicably, at that moment Evans chipped Ryan Taylor to mid on. The catch was taken by Mike Lloyd and from the promising position of 103 for 3 they collapsed to be all out for 110 runs. 

In just eight overs an unbelievable change of fortune had taken place and the home side was ecstatic.  

Ryan Taylor bowled his usual 15 overs and took 4-45, just reward for a patient effort. Tom Warner’s opening spell of 5 overs brought no reward at all, but in his second spell of 4.1 overs he was far more destructive, taking 4 wickets for 2 runs. 

Ryan with 4-45 and Tom 4-18 take the headlines, but this was a team effort. Tom Merilaht’s captaincy, Sam Wood’s impeccable wicket keeping, Chris Willey’s careful batting, Mike Lloyd’s two catches, Amin Ramly’s explosive hitting and last, but not least, Faris Rosmanizam’s stunning throw from fine leg to effect a timely run out, all contributed to the victory. 




With the sun shining Cowbridge 2nd XI made the short journey down the M4 to Briton Ferry for a very important game against third placed Briton Ferry Steel.  Cowbridge knew that Briton Ferry are a strong side and were therefore conscious that they would have to perform well in all departments if they were to secure a further victory; and thankfully the side did not disappoint.

Upon arrival the Captain lost the toss and was asked to bat first.  Regular readers will no doubt be aware that the Cowbridge Captain is far from keen on batting first but in this case the decision was out of his hands and the Cowbridge openers strapped on the pads to begin the Cowbridge innings.  The innings started brightly with Richard Finnucane and Jonty Webb pushing the score along until Richard was bowled by a good delivery with the score on 25.  This brought Chris Brace to the crease and the pair continued the good rate of scoring finding the boundary and running well between the wickets.  With the score on 55 the Captain was adjudged LBW which brought the big hitting Naveed Younis to the crease who proceeded to pepper the boundary to keep the run rate ticking along.  Unfortunately, both Chris and Naveed went in quick succession with Cowbridge mindful of the need to build a big partnership to guarantee a competitive total on a postage stamp sized ground with a fast outfield.

This was indeed what happened with an excellent partnership between the talented youngster Harri Collier and seasoned pro Ian Evans.  With the score at 60 for 4 off 24 overs the pair took the total to over 110 with some excellent shot selection and running between the wickets.  The pair punished the bad deliveries and made the Briton Ferry bowlers toil in the mid day sun.  Harri was eventually out for a well made 21, with the score at 116, which brought Sean Rowland to the crease.  Sean continued where Harri left off unfurling an array of shots as he dispatched the Briton Ferry bowlers to all parts.  Ably supported by Ian Evans, Sean raced to a quick fire 47 before he was caught agonisingly close to his first senior half century; he needn’t worry as on this performance his first 50 is just round the corner.  Sean’s efforts, along with Ian’s (33), meant the score had risen to over 180 with 200, and maximum batting points, well in sight.  Cowbridge were able to reach this with some further big hitting from Umar Rafique with Cowbridge finishing on 202.

This was an excellent total but Cowbridge knew they would have to bowl well to stand any chance of victory.  And bowl well they did, as John Gilbert and A. Qasim immediately causing problems for the Briton Ferry batsmen.  Briton Ferry were soon 2 down with the score only 14.  With Qasim’s extra pace and John Gilbert’s variation and guile the Briton Ferry batsmen found the going incredibly tough.  Things got even harder for Briton Ferry with the introduction of Harri Collier who bowled very well aided by some good fielding.  Wickets continued to tumble with only the Briton Ferry Captain showing any resistance.  In the end the Briton Ferry Captain was caught in the deep to a terrific catch by Richard Finnucane meaning that Briton Ferry were all out for 84 with John Gilbert finishing with 3 for 30, A. Qasim 2 for 18, Harri Collier 1 for 26 and Matthew Keating 3 for 4 off only 2 overs.

This was an incredibly satisfying victory for Cowbridge as they had completely outplayed the third placed side in the league and consolidated their position top of the table.  It was very pleasing to see the side perform with the both the bat and ball and hopefully this can continue for the rest of the season.


Sunday 15th July 2012


 The Cardiff and the Vale League Cup Final of last season's cricket was held over until this season due to inclement weather last September.

 The final was held at St. Fagan's Cricket Club between the hosts and Cowbridge.

 Although some of the boys were now 16, most of the Cowbridge team consisted of 13, 14 and 15 year olds. However the four older boys of Captain Sam Wood, Chris Brace, Harri Collier and Rafi had a significant effect on the outcome.

 The hosts won the toss in the 20 over game played on a slow pitch. Opening bowlers Chris Brace and Rafi bowled accurately allowing little momentum to the batting side. The danger batsman G. Lennnon was trapped leg before wicket to the bowling of Rafi with the score at 34 in the 8th over. Left arm spin of Harri Collier was to prove the host’s downfall, gaining 2 wickets for 6 runs in his allocated 4 overs. He was ably supported by Sean Rowlands 2 for 16, Rian Thomas 2 for 10, Matthew Keating 0 for 14 and the return of Brace 3 for 19, who had the last man out with one ball remaining of the last over for a total of 80 runs.

 Fine bowling was complemented by excellent fielding from the rest of the team of Jack Griffiths, Joe Russell, Sadr Zaman, Dan Evans and Zac Summerhayes with Sean Rowlands in particular taking a stunning catch.

 Under 16 Welsh International Sam Wood and Sean Rowland gave Cowbridge a steady start with Wood falling in the 10th over for 28 and the score at 51. Although Collier went cheaply Rowlands continued where Wood left off to carry his bat to 27 not out ably supported by Brace 5 not out. and reach the winning target with 5 overs to spare.

Congratulations to all the team on a fine performance in lifting the 2011 Cardiff and Vale League Cricket Cup. 



Saturday 14th July 2012





Something quite extraordinary happened last Saturday; the rain stopped and the sun shone and Cowbridge were able to get a game of cricket after a 3 week hiatus.  One of the prime reasons the game was able to go ahead was down to the efforts of Tim Williams, the Cowbridge Groundsman, as without his preparation of the ground the game would simply not have gone ahead.

With the Cowbridge Captain winning the toss Morristion were invited to bat first on a wicket that was inevitably slightly damp after the horrendous weather.  The innings started well for Cowbridge with John Gilbert getting the Morriston opener caught and bowled without a run being scored.  This early breakthrough was not squandered as pressure was maintained by Chris Brace, who bowled terrifically throughout the innings.  The Morriston batsmen found the going incredibly tough and the score rose slowly with wickets still falling at regular intervals.  With the introduction of A.Qasim and Umar Raffique things got worse for Morriston as both took two wickets in two balls to leave Morriston reeling on 49 for 8.  In the end Morriston were bowled out for 54 with Chris Brace finishing on 3 for 10, with A. Qasim 3 for 6 and Umar Raffique 2 for 17.

This was an excellent bowling performance by Cowbridge giving them the ideal opportunity to secure a victory and re-take top spot in the table.  Things started sedately for Cowbridge with the openers, Richard Finucane and Jonty Webb, untroubled against the Morriston bowlers.  The score had reached 25 when Richard was bowled which signalled a mini collapse.  With the Captain stuck at the other end batsmen came and went which resulted in Cowbridge slumping to 49 for 6 with the Captain’s nerves beginning to fray.  However, the total was reached without the loss of another wicket to give Cowbridge the victory.

This was a good bowling performance by Cowbridge but an indifferent one with the bat.  It was pleasing to achieve the victory and once again go top of the table but Cowbridge must realise that they are going to have to bat in the future a lot better than they did, if they want to maintain top spot for the rest of the season.



Whatever Kipling may have advised it is not always possible to treat both triumph and disaster just the same. TheWest Wales team is now part of a single league rather than in the second division and results reflect that. 

On a grey afternoon Cowbridge went in to bat against leaders Pontardulais and achieved what might be their lowest ever score of 33 all out. There was small comfort in taking 4 wickets before this miserable total was passed, although thanks must go to Waquir Saadat for scoring a third of the runs and taking all of the wickets. He will be greatly missed when he takes up a new post in Wigan this August, and the thought only added to the gloom. 

Two matches were then lost to rain but on the 30th June the team travelled to Penllegaer, an experienced side but newcomers to the league.   Here, despite the cold and intermittent rain, there was an excellent game. Penllegaer batted first and made 88 on a difficult pitch. The principal wicket taker was George Brown with 4 for 26, but the most economical was Michael Hordley who conceded only 12 runs from 9 overs. They were well supported by Tom Scott-Combes and Cai Owen with two wickets each. The highlight however was the fielding with 7 catches and not a single chance being put down. One catch was a father son combination with Cai Owen supported behind the stumps by Richard Owen and the team was fortunate to have the club senior player, Collin White,  back in his old specialist if anonymous  position “some where  around gully”  where he took 3 catches. Cai Owen, and Will Gamlin with a sharp catch, also shared in the total. Batting was not easy and Cowbridge managed 5 ducks in the course of losing 7 wickets, but Michael Hordley who has always been a stalwart has continued to improve and now keeps his head down. As a result he scored 35 which with 26 not out from Collin White, and some help from Rian Thomas took Cowbridge to 90 for 7 and a well deserved win. 

Yet another match (against Ynystawe) was lost to rain but Swansea who are also league high flyers came to Cowbridge on the 14th of July. There had been torrential rain in the week and some in the morning, but with so little cricket played and an artificial pitch the game went ahead. There were still rain interruptions and the enthusiasm of some to abandon the game half way through was fortunately squashed.  

At the outset the unavailability of some vital players was a cause of concern but George Brown and Waquir Saadat opened in style with 29 and 42 respectively. Rian Thomas at number 3 then produced 3 beautiful straight drives for 6 and also scored 29, whilst Richard Owen with 24 landed a huge 6 against the wall of the cattle market. There was further support and it was a delight to see the Shami brothers put on 15 for the last wicket. Although Tom Scott-Combes, and Rian Thomas bowling with real speed and length, gave good support when George Brown and Waquir Saadat had used all their 12 overs, these two were the real heroes with 4 for 13 by Waquir and 2 for 26 by George. Swansea were all out for 56.  

Cowbridge have been greatly encouraged by two very successful games but as Kipling also wrote “lest we forget, lest we forget”.



Saturday 7th July 2012



In pouring rain Cowbridge First XI left home with pools of water already visible on the Athletic field.

The Second XI match had already been cancelled, but the Llanelli club had confirmed that it was fine down west and were looking forward to Cowbridge’s arrival.

So the First XI left quite incredulous that a game was possible.

Beyond Port Talbot the incessant rain eased and reaching Carmarthenshire, unbelievably, it was overcast, but dry. In Llanelli itself it was fine, bright and warm. Surely this is God’s country. The ground was dry and the game began on time.

Tom Merilaht won the toss and put Llanelli in to bat, and very soon the home side was in trouble. As usual, Tom Warner made an early breakthrough taking a wicket in his first over.

He had another batsman lbw in his second over with the result that the home side was 7 runs for two wickets in three overs. From that moment on progress was very difficult for the Llanelli batsmen and the stranglehold was maintained throughout.

The result was that Llanelli First XI was bowled out for 75 runs in 43 overs.

Tom Warner bowled 15 overs and took 3 for 18, Ryan Taylor bowled 15 overs and took 1 for 37, but the most effective performer on the day was Amin Ramly. He bowled 12 overs and took 6 wickets for 14 runs.  

This was a superb bowling performance from the three of them considering that it was not a difficult wicket on which to bat. It had been covered all week and despite the recent rain the outfield had dried completely by the time the game began. 

The fielding was excellent to complement the bowling. Sharp catches taken by Ali Bilal (2), James Thomas (2) and Alex Kurobassa. 

The Cowbridge batsmen scored the runs in 19 overs emphasising the dominance achieved by the bowlers.

Tom Merilaht (38 not out), Mike Lloyd (24) and Faris Rosmanizam (11) took the team within sight of victory when the second wicket fell on 74. Then it was appropriate that Amin Ramly strode to the wicket to clinch the win that he had worked so successfully to achieve.

The first ball he received he struck for six to win the match in style, resulting in an early return to Cowbridge. This was a most competent performance by the Cowbridge First XI bringing a comprehensive victory. 

Due to the unavailability of a number of players Andy Brace made a welcome return to First XI.


Saturday 30th June 2012



The bare facts of Saturday’s game are that Cowbridge scored 153 all out in 38 overs and Gorseinon in reply scored 107 for 6 wickets in 31 overs. 

Owing to the wet state of parts of the outfield the umpires asked for another wicket to be prepared so that the game could start. Tim Williams got to work, and with the willing help of Andy Brace and others, the match eventually began an hour or so late. 

Proceedings got underway at 2.45pm with the visiting skipper winning the toss and putting the home side in to bat on this freshly cut, and definitely unpredictable, wicket. 

Overs had been reduced to 40 per side and Cowbridge First XI did well to reach 153 all out in 38 overs on a track that the batsmen found predictably very difficult. 

The basis of the innings was a partnership of 73 runs between Faris Rosmanizam (22) and Amin Ramly (42). When they were back in the pavilion Adam Wood (30) did his best to push the score along, but no other batsman could stay with him for any length of time. 

Chris Morgan did the damage with figures of 7 for 37 in 11 overs, being practically unplayable on this newly prepared wicket.  

When Gorseinon batted they were soon in trouble at 17 for 3 after 9 overs. A useful partnership developed between Chris Morgan and Gavin Donald that took them to 55 for 4 after 19 overs when the rain returned. 

A break in proceedings was inevitable as a very heavy shower sent the players running to the pavilion or to the covers for the wicket.  

Consequently, the visitors were left with twelve overs to reach 154 runs for victory. An impossible task in the circumstances and the home side just could not bowl them out. So the action meandered to an indefinite and unsatisfactory conclusion for both sides.

Despite the appalling weather it was a good day for Chris Morgan 7-37 and 48 runs for Gorseinon and Amin Ramly 2-10 and 42 runs for Cowbridge.

 It was a very frustrating and unsatisfactory day for nearly all concerned, and as with most weekends this season so far the weather was the winner.

The award for man of the match must be given to the grounds man, Tim Williams.

All week and all Saturday morning Tim battled against the elements to get the ground fit for play. Moments before play was scheduled to start, the umpires asked him to prepare a new wicket, which he bore with good grace and just got on with it.

Their request he dealt with quickly, without fuss, so that a game was possible. It’s unfortunate that the weather intervened despite all his efforts. But a game of sorts did take place, so many thanks to Tim for his untiring work. 


Saturday 9th June 2012



After days and days of rain and strong winds Saturday dawned bright and clear with Skewen Cricket Club the opponents at the Athletic Field. The wind that had been cursed earlier in the week as it brought so much rain was, in fact, the reason why the game was able to go ahead.

The previous 36 hours of unrelenting, but drying wind, had worked on the wicket and outfield to such an extent that the game was able to proceed on time.

Tom Merilaht won the toss and asked the visitors to bat. They proceeded to score 167 for 9 in 50 overs. Perhaps 30 runs or so more than they deserved owing to lapses in the field by Cowbridge resulting in three crucial catches ending on the grass and not safely in hand.

Tom Warner was among the wickets again with 4-48 in 15 overs, all four taken in his second spell. Ryan Taylor was as economical as ever with 2-36 off his 15 overs and Tom Merilaht chipped in with 2-44 off 14 overs. 

A total of 130 would have better reflected the batting performance with no batsman able to dominate the bowling to any great extent, plus the untypical lapses from the Cowbridge fielders. 

So the Cowbridge innings began after tea in customary style with Tom Merilaht, the anchor of the side, and Mike Lloyd attacking the bowling at every opportunity.

This tactic of aiming for 4 an over to put the fielding side under pressure worked for a while as Mike hit 45 off 69 balls with 9 fours, but he was bowled in the 24th.over when the score was 72

Up to that point the scoring was adequate with the opening partnership providing a sound basis for the innings.

 Unfortunately, the rest of the batsmen were not able to kick on from this position.

Only Tom (42) and Adam Wood (31) were able to maintain the chase to a certain extent. Even Chris Willey, who had looked after the middle and lower order and had remained not out in previous games, fell for a low score.

 Quick-scoring Andy Finucane failed to swing the willow to great effect, and so the Cowbridge effort fell short. A drawn match was inevitable owing to their own mistakes and some efficient bowling from the visitors. It was a thoroughly frustrating day for the team and the supporters.


Saturday 2nd June 2012



Last weekend, Cowbridge First XI travelled west to make the first visit of any Cowbridge league team to Bronwydd Cricket Club, near Carmarthen. 

The match facts are that the home side batted first and scored 200- 7 and Cowbridge scored 158-6 in reply. 

This was a respectable performance considering the fact that five players from last week’s team were unavailable. The batsmen particularly were sorely missed. 

With those facts in mind a younger side than usual headed west, more in hope than expectation. 

After a long and difficult journey through heavy holiday traffic on a bank holiday weekend, Mike Lloyd took over the skipper’s duties, won the toss and decided to field. 

The opening attack of Tom Warner and Ryan Taylor enjoyed some early success. They had the home side struggling on 10 runs for the loss of two wickets after six overs. 

Harri Collier, making his first appearance this season for the First XI, joined the action and certainly did not look out of place. He had figures of 2-4 in four overs as he helped the pace attack reduce the home side to 71 for 5 wickets after 26 overs. 

However, the Bronwydd batsmen mounted a rearguard action and a stand of 117 runs signalled a successful rally. The combination of Stephan Jones (80) and Nick Hogben (52) could not be broken until the 48th.over when Tom Warner captured both wickets.  

The innings closed on 200 for 7 wickets and Harri’s impressive bowling brought him final figures of 2 –31 off 12 overs. 

Sam Wood and Mike Lloyd opened the batting and they were placed under constant pressure from some accurate and hostile bowling. Making progress proved difficult, neither batsman was able to break free and this set the tempo for the whole innings. 

Sam (30), Mike (20) and Ryan Taylor (28) all made starts, but could not continue with a big score to threaten the home side’s total. No outstanding partnership was formed. 

On Saturday, the outstanding innings came from Chris Willey, with an unbeaten 36. He held the innings together, encouraging the youngsters in the side to stay with him and follow his example, but unfortunately no one could. 

Coming to the crease in the fifteenth over when the score was 57-2, he batted carefully and sensibly for the remaining overs refusing to give away his wicket. If he had, the game would have been lost.  

Tom Warner (8) kept him company for the last 8 overs as they attempted to gain a further batting point under extreme pressure. 

So a win for either side slipped away as the rain began to fall. 

The club captain would be disappointed that his side came away without a win, but very encouraged by this gritty performance from the team who refused to buckle under great pressure from the home side. 


WEST WALES XI's REPORT (26th May & 2nd June)


On the 26th of May the captain visited the home pitch before the match against Dafen, who are second in the league, and having cleared the debris left by irresponsible party goers and dog owners welcomed Dafen to the school field. Even before the match it was being seen by the Dafen captain as a practice session and the reason subsequently became apparent. Cowbridge scored 183 for 6 (Jon Brazier 44, Rian Thomas 21, Waquir Saadat 42, Richard Owen 35) and hoped that such a score would be hard to match. With Dafen on 59 for 9 such expectations should have been fulfilled but it transpired that the Dafen numbers ten and eleven were senior players from last year and they put on 127 for the last wicket, losing seven cricket balls in the process. Dafen made the total for 9 wickets. 

The away match against Morriston on the 2nd June was a very different matter. Exam’s are over and player availability much improved. The captain won the toss and in view of the weather forecast elected to bat. Jon Brazier at number one provided a rock on which to anchor the innings being finally bowled immediately after the drinks interval when on 18 whilst the other end was occupied by enthusiastic strikers of the ball. Michael Hordley scored 34. Two new club members, Sean Boga Lake, 27 and Jac Davies, 13 also scored briskly. George Brown, back in the side after examinations, made 28 and Tom Kamal 20 not out. At 173 for five from 45 overs the team were optimistic but had the depressing experience of the Dafen match in mind. 

The very youthful appearance of the Morriston side was at first encouraging but their openers’ excellent technique was not. Michael Hordley bowled tightly limiting the score to 3.5 an over and Sean Boga Lake, after one agonising  over due to first night nerves, recovered himself in a magnificent way and did just as well. His arrival will be a great boost to the side. George Brown who has worked hard on his action also made an invaluable input. Fielding was generally tight, and Hatim Shami’s enthusiasm and commitment was a fine example. Wickets were hard to come by and drizzling rain started making life difficult for the spinners and the new matting of the artificial pitch very slippery. The score steadily mounted until with two overs to go and with four wickets in hand Morriston needed only 13 runs. After a mid field consultation the captain decided that Jon Brazier’s individual technique might provide the essential bafflement needed in the next over and so it proved. Morriston were then left to make 8 from the last over. With two balls to go Morriston were on 173 themselves, but Sean kept his head and contained the batsman to produce a draw.  

It was an exciting and hard fought game in the best atmosphere. The side can be proud of them selves and the score well reflected the match.


Saturday 26th May 2012



What a difference a couple of weeks make! A fortnight ago cricket was played in cold, damp conditions when the firmly struck ball hardly reached the boundary. This Saturday the game was played in glorious, warm sunshine with a refreshing breeze.

The pitch was firm and the ball raced over the outfield, with the result that 480 runs were scored. The whole ground just looks better and better as time goes by. Thanks to the efforts of Tim Williams it must be one of the best places to play cricket in any division.

 In such conditions the spectators enjoyed an excellent game of cricket and it was no surprise that runs began to flow of the bat.

Llandysul Cricket Club came to Cowbridge for the first time in their history having been promoted last season. Their skipper won the toss and asked Cowbridge to bat. Perhaps after six overs and 38 runs conceded, he was beginning to regret his decision as he was forced to take his opening bowlers out of the attack.

Tom Merilaht and Mike Lloyd opened the batting for the home side and their stand followed a familiar pattern- 80 run in 18 overs for the first wicket, with Mike hitting the ball very powerfully to all parts and Tom pushing singles to give him the strike.

When the score was 81 in the nineteenth over Mike’s keenness for straight driving became his undoing. Luckily for the umpire, who was slow to react, the bowler brilliantly caught a sweetly timed straight drive. He was out for 59 runs (12 fours and a six).

Tom had scored 22 at the time of the dismissal and remained at the crease until the 50th. over. He anchored his side’s innings and was the last wicket to fall in that final over for a superb 113 runs (10 fours and 3 sixes).

The innings ended on 269 runs, with Amin Ramly and Adam Wood at the crease. Sam Wood (16) and Faris Rosmanizam (24) also helped towards the total. Sam’s contribution with the bat wasn’t as crucial this week, but his wicket keeping was vital. He kept immaculately, as he usually does, no byes conceded speaks for itself.

The most entertaining innings of the day was Amin’s. He struck 41 runs off 19 balls (4 fours and 3 huge sixes). With Tom he took the score from 188 to 266 in just 7 overs to the delight of the supporters and the team.

A daunting target of 270 for victory faced the visitors after tea and the task had become infinitely more difficult for them as after 7 overs they had lost two wickets while scoring 10 runs.

Tom Warner did the damage with two wickets in his first four overs. The visitors made a partial recovery with wickets falling at 67 and 92, but thereafter a vital stand of 75 runs took the score to 167 much to the irritation of the home side.

One will never know if it was good judgement or just pure luck, but the captain’s decision to give Chris Willey his first over of the season proved crucial. With his third ball he broke the partnership that was threatening to take the game away from Cowbridge. The batsman, Dean Jones (7 fours and a six), was caught in the deep while trying for another big hit.

Another couple of quick wickets for Tom Warner and it looked as if Cowbridge First XI was heading for a fifth victory, but no matter what was tried Ben Edkins could not be removed.

The game faded away from Cowbridge, as the batsmen were content to play out the remaining overs without losing any more wickets.

Ben Edkins remained 111 not out at the end having hit 14 fours and 2 sixes, defying the bowlers for many an over. It was a fine innings for his team; the only batsman to deny Cowbridge First XI a victory this season.

All the home fans agreed that they had witnessed a fine game of cricket although they had hoped for a better result.




On a glorious summers day Cowbridge 2nd XI made the lengthy trip to rural Ceredigion to play newly promoted Llandysul.  Set beside the river Teifi, with the backdrop of the town and a wooded hillside, the ground looked fantastic and with the lovely weather one could not have asked for better conditions to play cricket in.  The Captain won the toss and, to some deathly looks from the bowlers, he decided to field first.

The Cowbridge attack was being led by Chris Brace and Ali Bilal and it was Chris who struck first to pick up the wicket of the Llandysul opener.  A further wicket fell shortly after to leave Llandysul struggling on 18 for 2.  However; a partnership then began to grow between Mike Jones and Leuan Pask which started to frustrate Cowbridge.  The score began to rise and, despite some good bowling Llandysul started to find the boundary and push the total forward.  The Captain was beginning to fret and with the words of Robert Burns coming to mind, the Captain started to wonder whether his best laid plans had gone awry.  However, the breakthrough came from Harri Collier, who was making a welcomed return to the side.  Harri, who bowled very well throughout the day, bowled M. Jones to leave Llandysul at 113 for 3 with 13 overs to go.  This wicket precipitated a flurry of wickets with both Ali Bilal and Ian Evans picking up two each which resulted in Llandysul finishing on 146 off their 50 overs.

The Cowbridge innings started brightly with Umar Rafique finding the boundary early on but after his wicket Chris Ross joined the Captain; Jonty Webb at the crease.  From this point the pair put together an excellent partnership of over 120.  Both found the boundary on regular occasions and also ran well between the wickets.  Neither batsmen were troubled by the bowling and the score rose steadily.  In the end the Llandysul total was reached after 33 overs with Chris Ross finishing on 52 not out and Jonty Webb on 69 not out. 

This was a comprehensive victory for Cowbridge, despite the slight wobble during the Llandysul innings, and it was very pleasing to come away with a 9 wicket win.  This victory means that Cowbridge maintain their place at the top of the table.


Saturday 19th May 2012



Briton Ferry Steel Cricket Club was the venue for this close encounter, but there was no mystery about the final result. Cowbridge won a hard-fought battle by 10 runs and went to the top of the Second Division table. 

The victory was based on excellent teamwork with bat and ball in an intriguing contest that ebbed and flowed. Cowbridge batted first and scored 191 for 7 in 50 overs and the home side fell short of the target set by 11 runs. 

Having been relegated last season and starting poorly this year, the home side needed a determined effort to get as many points as possible from this match. But a victory was the aim as it was a strong side that played against Cowbridge. 

Tom Merilaht won the toss and decided that Cowbridge would bat. They went on to build a competitive total of 191 for seven off 50 overs, and in reply Briton Ferry could manage just 181 all out in 47.4 overs. 

For the impartial observer a fine game of cricket, but for a supporter of either side it was a nail biter. 

Young Sam Wood was the star of Cowbridge’s batting, occupying the crease for almost the entire innings and scoring 81 invaluable runs. How he has developed in the last few seasons! He was the last man out having batted for 45 overs and then remarkably kept wicket efficiently for the visitor’s innings.  

Tom Merilaht (25), Amin Ramly (26) and Chris Willey (28 no) ably supported Sam. It is extremely satisfying for the skipper that now any one of his top six batsmen is capable of doing what Sam did and hold the innings together if the others should fail. 

In Amin’s innings was an enormous six over mid-on that just kept going and going, and which, according to the locals, was the largest they had ever seen on the ground.  

Another highlight was a gem of an innings from Chris Willey. A sensible 28 not out in the final overs as he just stroked the ball either side of the wicket to take quick singles when the fielders were spread to prevent boundaries. 

With Sam, towards the end of the innings and finally with Andy Finucane (7 no), Chris frustrated the opposition while adding runs to the Cowbridge total. 

Tom Warner and Ryan Taylor opened the bowling and had some early success. The opening batsmen were back in the pavilion by the eighth over with the score on 16, both having taken a wicket. 

Then a recovery was underway and the next wicket did not fall until the 25th.over with the score on 84. However, when the score was 137 for 3 with the batsmen flourishing, Tom Merilaht had Evans (63) trapped lbw.  

It was a controversial decision, jeered by the spectators and greeted with disbelief by the batsman as he threw his bat away. Relief and joy was clearly written on the faces of the Cowbridge players as they saw the back of Evans as he trudged unwillingly from the field of play.  

It was certainly a turning point in the match, as the remaining batsmen seemed energised by the events and the recovery continued to the 43rd. over when the home side had scored 156 for 5 wickets and the tension was rising. Thirty-six to win off 7 overs was a definite possibility on a relatively compact ground. 

The situation demanded the recall of the opening bowlers to the attack for the final overs. The skipper obliged, the bowlers did what was required and Cowbridge ran out winners. Tom Warner (4-45) and Ryan Taylor (3-39) ended the match in style capturing the remaining five wickets between them in the last five overs much to the relief of their team-mates and the Cowbridge spectators. The jeering home supporters had disappeared to the bar. 

Craig Evans (63), Lee Williams (28) and Jason Hughes (20) were the batsmen who scored most of the runs for the home side. 

In the end a result for superb teamwork and 27 points for the First XI. 




Due to early season scheduling problems Cowbridge 2nd XI faced, not only the usual league fixture on a Saturday, but also a further game on the Sunday.  First off Cowbridge entertained Briton Ferry Steel; a side who had been relegated from the 1st division the previous season.  Captain Jonty Webb lost the toss and Cowbridge were invited to bat.  Both Chris Ross and Jonty Webb got off to a good start; running well between the wickets and finding the boundary on occasions.  Chris was unluckily bowled for 23 but the score continued to rise with Richard Finnucane giving good support to the Captain.  Unfortunately, both Jonty Webb (41) and Richard (29) went in quick succession which left Cowbridge at risk of not being able to post a competitive total.  However, the Rowland partnership of Sean and Nick batted sensibly and managed to push Cowbridge to a total of 160 off 50 overs.

Briton Ferry got off to a good start with their innings and the score rose steadily.  Despite one wicket for Umar Rafique, Briton Ferry reached 85 off 25 overs and was seemingly on course to secure victory.   A change was needed and with the introduction of Matthew Keating the tide of the match altered significantly.  The Briton Ferry batsmen were simply unable to counter Matthew’s accuracy and spin.  Wickets began to tumble and with Ian Evans , 3 for 7, providing support at the other end Briton Ferry started to teeter on the brink of defeat.  Despite this Cowbridge were unable to take the final wicket with Briton Ferry finishing on 140 for 9 off their 50 overs.  This was a terrific fight back by Cowbridge with Matthew Keating bowling superbly to finish with figures of 5 for 33.  From this result Cowbridge knew that if they beat Gorseinon on Sunday then they would be top of the league.

The Gorseinon match was not nearly as exciting as the Briton Ferry game, with Cowbridge totally dominating the visiting Swansea side.  Cowbridge were simply too strong as Gorseinon limped to only 118 off their 50 overs.  This total was then reached by Cowbridge off 30 overs with only the loss of 3 wickets with Chris Ross making a well made 41.  This comprehensive victory for Cowbridge meant that they now sit 8 points ahead of the second place side with hopes of maintaining this position for the rest of the season.


Saturday 12th May 2012



A rare sunny Saturday in this cricket season, and another win for Cowbridge First XI. An outstanding team performance with bat and ball produced this third consecutive victory. 

With the skipper unavailable, Mike Lloyd took over the duties and duly lost the toss. Fortunately, that was the only poor decision he made all afternoon. 

Cowbridge batted first and scored 175 runs in the allocation of 50 overs, and went on to bowl out Morriston for 72 runs in 35 overs.  

Mike Lloyd and Sam Wood opened the batting and their partnership realised 77 runs in 20 overs, the best of the season so far. Sam was first out, lbw for 28 runs and Faris Rosmanizam joined Mike at the crease. At the time he was unbeaten on 48 and soon after he had reached his half-century he was caught at deep mid-off for 52.  

Adam Wood (13) came in next and helped Faris push the score along, but after two fine fours through wide mid-on he was bowled when the score was 121. 

Faris went on to score 34 accomplished runs but was out when the score was 148. He had help from Ryan Taylor, with a rapid 23, and Chris Willey. Chris batted on serenely helping the tail to eke out as many runs as possible, and when the innings closed at 175 he remained 10 no.  

It was a respectable total in the circumstances with an unpredictable early-season wicket and a very slow, damp outfield. 

Morriston’s batsmen were soon in trouble with the first wicket falling in the third over to Tom Warner. From the first ball they struggled with the pace and accuracy of Tom and Ryan Taylor. 

For the last three matches Ryan has bowled an opening spell of 15 overs very accurately and economically, but with very little good fortune. Yesterday his 15 overs cost him a miserly 33 runs, but unluckily only one wicket.  

Tom Warner bowled his usual spell of 7 overs that cost him just 5 runs and that first wicket. Amin Ramly took over and had a wicket with his first ball. He continued with his spell of 11 overs and ended with 4 wickets for 18 runs. 

When Taylor ended his 15 overs Warner was brought back, and in his last three overs he took 4 wickets that cost him 3 runs. His final figures were 10 overs, 6 maidens, 8 runs and 5 wickets. This was a magnificent spell of bowling by Tom and an outstanding victory by the First XI. 




With the sun shining, a rare thing indeed so far this summer, Cowbridge travelled to old rivals Morriston with hopes of making it two wins out of two.  Returning Captain Jonty Webb won the toss and it was no surprise when he decided to bowl first.  Cowbridge immediately struck early with Chris Brace bowling the Morriston opener with the score only on 1.  This excellent start got even better when Chris Brace struck again to leave Morriston reeling at 15 for 2.  Chris was ably supported by Umar Raffiq and through this combination Morriston found the going extremely tough in the first 10 overs.  With the fourth wicket going down the Morriston Captain, D. Hopkins came to the wicket and he set about putting together a partnership to stabilise the Morriston innings.

The score began to tick over as the Morriston batsmen started to find the boundary on a number of occasions and Cowbridge begun to fear that their good start would be wasted.  However, the crucial breakthrough came when new comer to the side, Nippen, bowled the Morriston Captain for 33.  This left the score at 91 for 5 off 34 overs with Cowbridge conscious that they had a real chance to bowl Morriston out for low score.  The pressure continued to be applied through the bowling of Ian Evans and the excellent Chris Brace which all resulted in Morriston only being able to limp to 137 off their 50 overs with Chris Brace finishing 4 for 21 off his 15 overs.

Cowbridge knew that as long as they batted sensibly then 137 was a very achievable target and the Cowbridge openers, John Brazier and Jonty Webb, began the innings cautiously taking time to assess the conditions and judge the Morriston bowling.  John Brazier was finally out with the score on 32 which brought the ever entertaining Naveed Younis to the crease.  As regular readers will know Naveed knows only one way of batting and throwing the aside the old adage of “playing oneself in” he proceeded to hit 18 runs in four balls before trying to hit one too many and being bowled.  An all too short stay at the crease, but an entertaining one none the less.  After this the Captain and Ian Evans began to put together a partnership against some tight Morriston bowling.  The Captain was then out with the score on 90 and after another quick wicket there was a concern that the total of 137 would prove out of reach for Cowbridge.  Again though the efforts of Nippen proved important as he came to the crease, and along with Ian Evans who was batting excellently, the pair took Cowbridge over the total with 6 overs to spare; with Nippen finishing on 28 and Ian on a well played 41 not out.

This was a good all round performance by the Cowbridge side and highlighted the number of talented individuals Cowbridge have at their disposal.  Hopefully, this winning mentality can be maintained throughout the season thereby allowing the side to push for the top spot in the league. 


Saturday 5th May 2012



Another cold Saturday in May saw Llanelli First XI at the Athletic Ground for the second match of the season. 

Tom Merilaht resumed the captaincy and won the toss. He asked the visitors to bat in the light of the overcast day and the enormous amount of rain that has fallen on the cricket field during the week.  

That there was any play at all was owing to the efforts of Tim Williams in trying conditions throughout the week. 

The Llanelli openers found batting extremely difficult on a very slow wicket while facing the accurate bowling of Ryan Taylor and Tom Warner, making his debut for the club. 

Progress was slow with the first wicket falling to Ryan in the eighteenth over when the score had reached 41. Very slowly and carefully, Iwan Rees (69) and Adam Coates (38) took the score to 112, when the second wicket fell. 

Tom Warner had just begun his second spell when he had immediate success. He bowled Rees, who had batted for 35 overs, and ripped out the middle order that trudged back to the pavilion without adding to the score. 

When Sam Wood brilliantly caught Coates off Tom Warner the innings collapsed to 142 all out. Tom had taken 5 wickets for 7 runs in five overs, eventually ending with 5 for 24 off 15 overs. Even on this slow early season wicket the batsmen had no answer to his pace and accuracy. 

Ryan Taylor had done his job efficiently early in the innings by restricting the batsmen. In his fifteen overs he had figures of 1 wicket for 30 runs. 

Another Tom, the skipper this time, helped to finish off the opposition with 3- 25 off ten overs.

In the not too distant past a low score posted by their opponents has proved a very difficult target for the Cowbridge batsmen, but not on this occasion. Victory was achieved with the loss of just two wickets. 

Tom Merilaht’s return brought the usual stability to the innings as he batted throughout, and was 60 not out at the end.

Sam Wood (39), with another brilliant performance keeping wicket earlier, ably supported Tom as they put on 62 for the second wicket.

Faris (26 not out) remained with the skipper until the game was won in the 38th over. He appeared comfortable and confident at the crease and sealed victory with a sweetly timed four through extra cover. He remains unbeaten so far this season.

These last two victories in the league have created a solid base for the coming season. We need these performances to continue.




On Saturday afternoon, the Cowbridge 2nd XI travelled to Llanelli to play their first league match of the season, winning a tight and exciting game by just one run.

With stand-in skipper Chris Ross losing the toss, Cowbridge were invited to bat first. As is the case in many early season matches, winning or losing the toss can be vital, and the green and spongy wicket didn’t look too inviting as the Cowbridge openers took guard.

Although runs were slow to come by, the visitors cautiously accumulated 15 from 7 overs before Jon Brazier was caught for 11. A flurry of wickets then followed leaving the visitors reeling at 29-4 with Nick Rowland also out for 10.

Over the next 45 minutes or so, Chris Ross (19) and Ian Evans repaired some of this damage to bring the visitors score to 50-4. Unfortunately, they soon both departed in quick succession to leave Cowbridge really in the mire at 67-7.

The Cowbridge tail, comprising mostly of junior players began to wag rather gently in the breeze and this helped the visitors total to limp along to 92 all out.

Before Cowbridge took to the field there was a steadfast determination amongst the players that they would try to make the home team work as hard as possible for every run by bowling tightly and giving everything in the field. It was this ethic that helped to bring an unlikely victory.

The pace of Umar Rafique was complemented with the ‘evergreen’ John Gilbert who immediately found his usual nagging line and length. Llanelli soon found themselves behind the clock and struggling at 33-2 off 20 overs. With the runs beginning to dry up, the pressure began to mount on the batsmen and suddenly the small target began to look more difficult to attain.

The introduction of Matthew Keating and the return of Rafique finally brought the significant breakthrough needed. Wickets began to tumble and the home team seemed apparently stranded on 60-8.

Although it seemed that the tide had turned in favour of the visitors, the home team’s skipper and opening bowler were now batting at each end of the pitch and a succession of stinging blows suddenly brought target within reach.

At 91-8, there were 3 balls left of the 39th over. Matt Keating produced the ball of the day, pitching it outside of off stump to hit leg stump and so dismiss the Llanelli skipper. This brought the home team number eleven out to take guard. After surviving his first ball, he then lofted his second delivery into the safe hands of Ian Evans and a famous victory was secured.

Although it was a fantastic team effort with everyone playing their part, It would be remiss not to mention the efforts of all the youngsters who played on Saturday; George Brown, Zac Summerhayes, Sean Boga-Lake and Matthew Keating, who all fielded superbly and contributed with the bat and ball in often difficult conditions. Well done to them.


Saturday 28th April 2012



For the first match of the 2012 cricket season Cowbridge First XI travelled to Gorseinon on an overcast day more in keeping with winter than spring. 

It’s a great feeling to get that first win of the season, particularly away from home, and so it was for the First XI on Saturday.  

This cheerless day was banished by the end of the afternoon, as the possibility of a victory became a reality. This position was due mainly to the fine performances of the two players making their league debuts for the club; Amin Ramly and Faris Rosmanizam are students at the University Of Glamorgan. 

Mike Lloyd, skipper for the day, won the toss and put the home side in to bat. This was a crucial decision owing to the unpredictable behaviour of early season pitches, and so it proved. 

The home side was soon in trouble with the score 41 for 7, but a patient innings of 31 runs from Chris Richards helped by Chris Morgan (16) and a quick 14 from Rob Morgan helped the score to 92 off 47 overs.  

The damage was done initially by Ali Bilal (4-34 in 15 overs) and Ryan Taylor (2-20 in 11 overs). They opened the bowling together just as threateningly as they did on a number of occasions last year. 

After their spells, Amin, with his medium pace, and Faris with his off spin, took up the attack. No other bowlers were required. Amin was particularly impressive and returned figures of 3-25 in his 13 overs; Faris took 1-19 as they finished off Gorseinon for 92 on what proved to be a particularly unpredictable wicket, thus justifying the skipper’s decision to field.

Seven catches were taken altogether: 2 for Andy Finucane, 2 for Amin, 2 for Adam Wood and 1 for Chris Willey.  

Cowbridge scored the required runs in 30 overs, but it was not easy on this wicket.

 The home bowlers knew their wicket well and made it as difficult as possible for their opponents. However, when Faris got to the crease the score was 29 for 2 after 15 overs there was still much to do. Adam Wood (15) remained with him and helped him to move the score along to 82 and Alex Kurobassa (8) stayed until the target was reached.

Faris was 42 not out at the end and appropriately scored the winning runs. He hit six fours in his innings that was notable for his fine timing and delicate late cuts. It was particularly satisfying to witness a middle order batsman playing with considerable confidence and undoubted skill.

Sam Wood (14) kept wicket impeccably, but it was the debutants who caught the eye on this occasion with bat and ball as they contributed hugely to a fine team victory.



The Second XI home match was postponed until a later date


The West Wales XI match was abandoned.