Cowbridge Cricket Club’s first recorded fixture took place in 1840 against Bridgend. Today the Club runs three senior and four junior teams, playing on a beautiful ground.
It was not until 1913 that the cricketers of Cowbridge had a permanent home when the Cowbridge and District Athletic Club was established. What is now our ground had been created by Mr E H Ebsworth in 1895 on a field called Cae Wyndham. It was used by Mr Ebsworth’s XI, the Cowbridge XI as well as the Glamorgan Gypsies. The Cowbridge Wanderers were established in 1906 and when Mr Ebsworth retired to Scotland this Club created the Cowbridge and District Athletic Club and bought the ground for £700. The Cowbridge Athletic Club remains the parent body.
The standing of the Club was recognised in the 1930’s when Glamorgan played four matches at Cowbridge. England captains Douglas Jardine, Cyril Walters and Tony Lewis have played for the Club and test players J C Clay played regularly over many years and Hugh Morris began his career with the Club. Ben Wright learned to play at Cowbridge before enjoying a career with Glamorgan and has returned to play for the Club.
Cowbridge’s 1st and 2nd XI’s play in the South Wales Cricket Association, the Midweek XI in The Vale of Glamorgan T20 League while the junior teams play in The Cardiff and Vale Junior League.
New members are very welcome; if you would like to become a member, there is a range of membership grades to choose from, either playing or non-
Cowbridge Ground -
Welcome to Cowbridge Cricket Club Home Page
Club Address (Click below for map)